The Lockerbie Old School Community project is run by a committee of volunteers working towards creating a community center for Lockerbie. Through the process of Asset Transfer from the council the Dryfe Road school building will change ownership to the community, the committee aims to create a not for profit but financially viable venue where the people of Lockerbie can gather, learn and exchange.
The vision is to see the currently vacant building brought back into use as a community hub. The Old School building presents an opportunity to create a new community facility providing space for a wide range of activities providing employment, volunteering opportunities and educational and social opportunities for the people of Lockerbie and for visitors to the town.
The aspiration is to create a multi-use facility for the town to include:
- space for community and social activities
- space for arts, performance and heritage
- space for business and office services
- space for visitor accommodation
We hope to build a community centre that will have something to offer for everyone and that will bring people closer together
Community Enterprise Ltd is a not for profit organisation who work with communities and provide development support. We used funding to commission them to work on a business case for the Lockerbie Old School community hub. Some of main areas that have been identified for inclusion in the new multi-use Old School facility are:
- Space for community and social activities
- Space for young people, particularly teenagers
- Space for families and older people
- Space for arts, theatre, music, etc.
- Small business / start up space for people who want to start their own business, particularly young people who would not otherwise have the chance.
- Space to hire for training and educational and leisure classes and activities
- Workshop space for arts and crafts – clean and messy – and for trades/ training
- A community café – either run as a training programme for young people or leased out, purely to generate guaranteed income
- Heritage and history and display space
- Bunkhouse style accommodation to attract visitors to the area.
The intention is to keep running costs to a minimum.
We are proud to show all the details of the project. Find below all the documents relating to the project.
We record all of our meetings so it is easier for everyone to keep up to date with progress! See below for our Meeting Minutes.
We want to ensure that all information from the project is available to you our supporters therefore we will use this section to publish our accounts